Oct 30, 2010

Voting Legacy



I was reading the Shelbyville Sentinel-News Friday which had printed the ballot for the various precincts in Shelby County. I was glad to see it because there are so many local races that we've never voted in before. But seeing the ballot reminded me of my parents, Arthur and Una Garrison, who set such a civic example for my brother and me.

Before every election, the two of them would sit down with the Sunday Tampa Tribune, which printed the ballot just before the election on Tuesday. Together, they would go through each race and talk about it. They didn't do it to synchronize their votes--although they usually voted the same way--but to share knowledge about the candidates and races.

They never made a big deal of it; thus, I never really thought much about it. Looking back, however, I realize what an impact this had on me. They modeled voting responsibility. There was never a question of voting or not voting; that was a given. They also modeled thoughtful voting and attention to local, state, and national issues. I can't say that their political views took root in my mind. But they taught me through their example to be politically aware and responsible, never to turn over that responsibility to others to decide for me.

So, thanks, Mom and Dad. I wish you were still here (although I know you wouldn't be voting my way).

No comments: