Jul 13, 2011

The Fisherman



Arne is a fisherman, just like Ellen's Dad was.  Three times a day, he goes out to check his nets for salmon.  Used to be, he'd catch fish every time.  The last couple of years, not so much.  But he does catch some and he invited me to go out with him.

So, we arrived at Arne's house at 2PM, as agreed, and introduced ourselves (Betty and Cassie were with me.)  I really had no idea what to expect, but Arne explained that we were just going about 100 meters offshore to check the nets, so Betty should hang around.  He then outfitted me with overalls, boots and gloves and off we went.  Motored out, hauled in the nets, etc.  More pics here.  All photo credits to Betty.

Full disclosure:  While I'd love to claim the salmon in the picture at the head of the blog, I have to admit it ain't so.  There were only a couple of jellyfish and a lone flounder in the nets this time.  But when we got back and I asked Betty to take a picture of me all decked out, Arne was quick to tell me that he had a salmon for the picture (frozen, but you can't really tell, can you?)  All in all, quite an experience!




2 comments:

Liz Happer said...

I bet you wishes you had caught that Bob

Nick said...

Ahh! That's cheating Bob :-)