Dec 10, 2016

Saturday, December 10. 2016

Unlike Susannah, I'm not all that good at coming up with creative titles.  Enough already that I get some words on the screen, right?

Standby, because I have a pretty lengthy blog brewing in my head, but I'm not quite ready to commit the time to it.  Maybe tomorrow.  I mean, I's almost 4:30 and I've already done a lot today!

My main cooking goal for this week was to prepare cabbage rolls, like Nonny used to, and I have a few times.  The days got away from me so this morning was the cabbage roll day.  Had some trouble finding a slow cooker that didn't break the bank.  This kitchen only came with two appliances--coffee maker and blender. (No Mexican cocina is ever complete without a blender.) But Bob found one on the shelf at Walmart the other day.  So this morning I chopped and mixed and cooked and got the cabbage rolls in the slow-cooker just before noon.  (Smells wonderful.)

Then we went to fulfill a couple of errands--always errands.  First we stopped to make a hair appointment for me at a different shop. (Not happy--another story.).  Then to the plaza to the Everything Store, aka locally as the Dollar Store.  I think the first name is more appropriate because you can almost find EVERYTHING there that you can't anywhere.  It's very small with an opening onto the sidewalk that's only about 10 ft.  It continues this narrow path into the store for quite awhile before it widens up to about twice the width, but not for very long.  It's a tiny little store with things crammed on shelves and mostly only the women who work there can find anything.  So we particularly to find playing cards (sure I brought some but can't find them).  While we were there, we bought a Rummikub game and dominoes because, of course, we're in Mexico and everybody plays Mexican Train.  Bob lucked out and found on a shelf--all by himself--a wire brush for cleaning  the grill.  Big day!

Then to the carretera where we found the vendors who sell blankets.  We keep a couple of blankets on the couch in the den where we hang out most of the time.  The dogs love it, although Howdy has to be boosted from the back, but we needed a couple more so we can rotate with the washing.



 Then we found a yummy bakery someone had recommended.  I bought a little caramel-pecan cake, and Bob bought two GF pecan muffins.

And now I want to read.  So no more blog for today.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how colorful all of the pictures always seem to be, regardless of where you are or what you're doing. Seems like it would subtly influence everyone's mood, unless it's already a direct reflection of the culture. Pretty big contrast anyway from something like Siberia.

Where in the world are B & B? said...

We keep talking about that, too. All the color, not only in the garden and all around, but in the bright colors of the houses and clothes. I know it has a direct impact on my mood--the sunshine, colors, mild temperatures are all such a boost. I keep thinking that it was really not the cold that was so depressing up north, and I always enjoyed the snow (never ice!) as long as I didn't have to be somewhere, but those long stretches of gray days just always got me down.

Zannah said...

Next time there's a gray day coming, hang a bunch of Mexican blankets on a clothes line! Then we can find out if it's really the lack of color or the cold. :)