Apr 19, 2011

Sweet Smells from the Past



I meant to write about this much earlier.  While we were in Florida in March, we were driving north on Merritt Island just cruisin' along (Merritt Island--hard to believe it's so close to civilization) and I caught a whiff of the sweetest smell on earth--orange blossoms.  Instantly, I was transported to my days growing up in Florida.  But more specifically, the smell was like a time machine to a specific day--ca. April 1967:  Driving home through the orange groves northwest of Tampa from the university after takng exams, top down on my 1964 LeMans convertible. 




The smell, the balmy air, and the Lovin' Spoonful cranked up to high volume on the radio:


3 comments:

Corey Shiffman said...

You had a 1964 Lemans convertible?!?!?! And Dad with the Austin Healy. You people have absolutely no foresight. Wait, maybe I should have kept the '87 Sentra...DAMMIT!!

Zannah said...

I love that song. And that smell. And seriously, you guys, what happened to your sense of car style?

Where in the world are B & B? said...

Well, Pop bought the Lemans for me--sort of a bribe to come back home to Tampa after my freshman year away. Maybe it was to mollify me for having to be a commuter university student. He sold it when I moved away from home!

Bob also had a 1964 red GTO (not a convertible)after the bug-eye Sprite.

What happened? The reality of growing up and having to support ourselves and pay for our own gas, insurance, etc, I guess. The banks of Mom and Dad closed down.